- Established 1834
- Located in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 13,581 students
- $1.1171 billion endowment
- #40 Nationally According to US News and World Report
- Motto: Non Sibi Sed Suis (Not for oneself, but for one’s own)
Other Noteworthy Facts
- Their mascot is Riptide the Pelican...Two terrifying tastes that go great together. At least he’s not the Mardi Gras King Cake Baby trotted out by the New Orleans Pelicans.
- When I tried to scope out whether or not Tulane is a party school, the first thing I found was a forum post from 2010 about how much it’s NOT a party school. Dudes, you’re in New Orleans. NOLA is possibly the only city in the US that somehow has air with a BAC.
- The Tulane Hullabaloo is the university’s prestigious student paper. The Tulane Vignette is the school’s award-winning, satirical, online-only newspaper. I feel like they swapped the titles there. However, I must express appreciation for anything that attempts to popularize the word “hullabaloo”.
- Amy “Daughter of Jimmy Carter” Carter
- Paul Michael Glaser, a.k.a. Starsky of Starsky and Hutch
- Shannon Lee, daughter of Bruce Lee (okay, that’s just rad)
- Pulitzer Prize winning author Shirley Ann Grau
- Comedian Anthony Jeselnik, a.k.a. That Guy Who Does Comedy Central Roasts, And Other Things, I’m Sure
- Jerry Springer. No, seriously. Jeez, bit on the nose, isn’t it?
- Longest Tenured Coach: Clark Shaughnessy, 11 seasons
- Wins Leader: Shaughnessy, 59
- Overall Record: 518–642–38 (.448)
- Bowl Record: 4–7 (.364)
- Shocking Fact: Tulane holds three (3) SEC Championships. Who cares if they were in the 40’s? Doesn’t stop Bama. Also that’s 3 more than Vanderbilt, who joined the conference the same year, and is, you know, still there.
Other Things I Learned Writing This Article
- The mascot used to be a literal green wave apparently affectionately named “Gumby”. No word on whether that’s a double pun with Gumbo but if it’s not, I’m extremely disappointed.
- Tulane alumnus John “Hot Rod” Williams had a 14 year NBA career. I’m also shocked there isn’t a Cars character named Hot Rod Williams.
- Tanner Price has a Wikipedia entry. He plays football in France now. So that’s a thing.
I decided to give this feature a try. I think once we get into ACC season there’ll be a lot more material to work with. What’d you guys think? Should this be a weekly feature? Sound off in the comments, thanks for reading, and as alwayss, Go Deacs.