- Established March 24, 1870
- Located in Syracuse, New York
- 22,484 students
- $1.259 billion endowment
- #53 Nationally Among Universities According to US News and World Report
- Motto: Suos Cultores Scientia Coronat (Knowledge crowns those who seek her)
Other Noteworthy Facts
- The University library includes original works from Galileo, Luther, John Calvin, Isaac Newton, Goethe, and many others. Most surprisingly, the campus contains the entire personal library of Leopold Von Ranke. The University outbid the PRUSSIAN GOVERNMENT for it. I'm capitalizing because that's nuts.
- CitrusTV, the university's TV station, is one of the largest in the country, with over 300 active student members.
- Syracuse actually has its own emergency medical response organization called Syracuse University Ambulance. The organization responds to over 1,500 emergencies per year. That's pretty awesome.
- The university also has a massive audio library that includes the voices of Thomas Edison, Amelia Earhart, Oscar Wilde, and Albert Einstein.
- Joe and Beau Biden
- Sportscasting legend Marv Albert
- Actor Peter Weller
- Current "Voice of WWE" and former war correspondent Michael Cole
- Wrestling legend Mike Rotunda, probably best known for his run as evil tax collector Irwin R. Schyster and being the father of currently active WWE Superstars Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt
- TV legend Dick Clark
- Bob Costas
- Bob Costas Successor Mike Tirico
- Diane Nelson, current president of DC Entertainment
- Comedian Lisa Lampanelli
- Creator of Marmaduke Brad Anderson
- Many more. Syracuse has one heck of a list.
- Longest Tenured Coach: Ben Schwartzwelder, 24 years
- Wins Leader: Schwartzwelder, 153–91–3
- All-Time Record: 697–503–49 (.578)
- Postseason Record: 15–9–1 (.620)
- Surprising Fact: Syracuse has fielded a football team since 1889, but fielded no team in 1943 due to World War II. Sidenote, screw Nazis!
Other Things I Learned Writing This Article
- This is apparent from the alumni section but Syracuse might as well be Broadcaster U. There are others I didn't list.
- Wikipedia has a standalone entry for the football rivalry between Syracuse and Colgate.
That's all for this week! Let's get the biggest win of the season on Saturday, shall we?
On to the next. Go Deacs.