The Wake Forest Demon Deacon baseball team will host a regional in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in fifteen years. The Deacs will square off Friday night at 7 P.M. as the top seed in the four-team bracket against Atlantic East champion Maryland Baltimore-County.
What can the Deacs expect from the Retrievers in the opener? Let’s take a quick look:
- Overall Record 23-23 (11-9 America East). Went 20-23 in the regular season before knocking off Stony Brook, Albany, and Maine in three days to claim the automatic bid from the America East
- Finished third in the conference overall, behind Binghamton and Stony Brook.
- Ranked 153rd in the RPI
- Went 0-3 against top 50 RPI competition (two losses to St. John’s and a loss to Maryland - combined 29-5 margin) and 1-3 against teams ranked 51-100 in the RPI (loss to Liberty, two losses and a win against Binghamton).
- Top Starter: Mitchell Wilson (5-3; 4.21 ERA)
- Top Hitter: Hunter Dolshun (.333 AVG, 9 HR, 34 RBIs)
We will have a more comprehensive overview of each of the teams in the region, including West Virginia and Maryland, as the week progresses. This just serves as “at-a-glance” blurb for the Retrievers.
This is a solid first game draw for the Deacs and I imagine that Wake will start Donnie Sellers on Friday night to kick the Regional off for the Diamond Deacs.
If you have any questions, let us know and we look forward to a week of baseball discussion. As always, go Deacs!