clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wake Forest vs. Florida State: GIF Recap

Phil Sears-USA TODAY Sports

This game was more or less Wake Forest vs. Clemson 2.0. The Deacs played great and led for most of the game, right up until the end. Pretty much the only difference was that this one went into double overtime. Wake Forest is now 1-7 in the conference, but with a little luck they could easily be 4-4.

One of the best parts of this game on the offensive end for the Deacs was the shooting of Cornelius Hudson.

Crab had 18 points on on 6-14 shooting, including 5-11 from the three point line. Another notable for the Wake Forest offense was Codi Miller-McIntyre.

When Codi gets the ball in fast break situations he is almost unstoppable. He finished with a game high 25 points on 9-20 shooting.

Wake Forest led 19-4 early in the first half, and kept the lead until 13:45 left in the second half, when FSU went on a run to finally take the lead 43-46.

From this point the Deacs and the Noles would go back and forth for the rest of the game. With 20 seconds left, Wake Forest found themselves behind 63-65 when Codi Miller-McIntyre drove the ball and made a game tying layup to send the game to overtime.

In the closing seconds of the first overtime, CMM found a wide open Mitchell Wilbekin on the wing for a three. Unfortunately the shot didn't go down, and the game went to another overtime.

In the second overtime, the game slipped away from the Deacs and FSU guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes hit a dagger jumper with 40 seconds left to put the Noles up by 3.

Wake Forest would turn the ball over on the ensuing possession and would ultimately lose 82-76.

One disappointing aspect of both overtimes was the defense from Wake Forest.

The Deacs let freshman forward Phil Cofer have too many easy looks on the inside. He scored 9 of his 19 points in the first and second overtime, and most of them were inside the paint. Ultimately the script in this one was all too familiar. Wake Forest led for a major portion of the game, but down the stretch they were again unable to close the game.