The Louisville Cardinals come into the game on Saturday with a 3-1 record, compiling 152 points in the four games. Those three wins have come against Miami, Murray State and Florida International, with the only loss coming in a 23-21 defeat at Virginia a couple of weeks ago.
If you want excellent coverage of the Cardinals this week then check out our brother site Card Chronicle. They are one of the better SB Nation college blogs out there and do outstanding work.
Here is a bullet point breakdown of some news and notes on the Cardinals:
- Louisville is second in the Defensive S&P rankings from football outsiders, behind only Stanford (Wake Forest is 50th on defense in these same rankings). Offensively, the Cardinals are 51st, while the Deacs are 123rd out of 128 teams overall.
- Within that, Louisville is 6th in rush defense (YPG), and 26th in pass defense. Wake Forest is 75th and 12th respectively.
- On offense, Louisville is 93rd in rushing offense and 55th in passing offense. Wake is 127th and 81st.
- Starting QB Will Gardner is day-to-day for Louisville with a knee injury. Apparently there is a lot of swelling. He met with a doctor yesterday afternoon, but there are no updates yet.
- Here is an early week 5 depth chart for the Cardinals.
- Louisville has struggled to run the ball early on this season, rushing for 546 yards on 154 carries (3.55 yards per carry).
- DB Gerod Holliman leads the country in interceptions with 5 through 4 games.
- The Cardinals are 19/20 in the red zone this year, with 16 touchdowns.
- Louisville is currently a 20.5 point favorite over the Deacs.
- Only previous meeting between these two schools was the Orange Bowl during the 2006 season.