The Deacs took a break from full pads, and instead were just in shells. Below are some observations of this morning's practice. If you want to catch the Deacs in action, then you can attend Sunday's scrimmage at 5 p.m. at BB&T Field. This scrimmage will be open to the public. Over the next few days we hope to put together a preliminary depth chart.
- Cornerback Kevin Johnson was not a full participant in practice. Instead, he was doing some conditioning work on a side field. Brad Watson was in his place and appears to be the third cornerback on the depth chart.
- Safety Ryan Janvion banged helmets with another player and was temporarily on the ground. He was able to get up under his own power, but was held out for the remainder of practice.
- We did not see Allen Ramsey on the field today, and we will further look into the reason for this.
- This practice placed on emphasis on Red Zone plays and drills.
- Isaiah Robinson is emerging as the third string running back. Orville Reynolds had several nice carries that would have probably gone for long runs in games.
- Chad Hedlund seems to be emerging as the starting place kicker.
- Those mostly getting first team offensive line reps were (from left to right) Antonio Ford, Will Smith, Cory Helms, Josh Harris, Dylan Intemann. At this point, I believe our defensive line is ahead of our offensive line.
- Brandon Chubb and Marquel Lee will be the starting linebackers, with Teddy Matthews and Jaboree Williams slated as the next in line.
- Tyree Harris is a candidate to return punts this season.
- Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Rutgers head coach, Greg Schiano, was as well. He was seen taking notes, but whether or not he is involved with the team in an official capacity is unknown at this time.
We'll have another report for you again tomorrow around 9:00 a.m. The first game is exactly three weeks from today!