It was another early morning for the Wake Forest football team at the Doc Martin Football Practice Complex. Below are some observations of the first practice in full pads. If you have any questions, please comment and we'll do our best to answer them.
- Projected starting offensive tackle Antonio Ford left practice early with what appeared to be a right ankle injury that he suffered during an offensive line vs. defensive line drill. At this point the severity of the injury is unknown. This would be a big loss if Ford has to miss some time. If he does, expect Hunter Goodwin to compete for the starting tackle position. Ty Hayworth is another possibility.
- Freshman defensive tackle Chris Stewart was also seen wearing a walking boot on his right foot, but was still able to get in some conditioning/strength training work.
- Dez Wortham is getting more reps with the first team offense and he would probably be the starter if the Deacs had a game tomorrow.
- Tylor Harris continues to perform well on the defensive line. Would not be surprised to see a starting defensive line of Zachary Allen, Josh Banks, Tylor Harris and Wendell Dunn.
- Tyler Cameron had a better day and he and Wolford continued to get the majority of the reps. By our count, which is unofficial because we had to leave at 8:25, Cameron received 15 reps in either 11 on 11 or 7 on 7 compared to John Wolford's 22, Kevin Sousa's 10 and Travis Smith's 2. A caveat is that Cameron's reps were mostly coming with the first team, but Wolford started getting more first team reps as practice progressed. By the time the team began situational down/distance, Wolford started with the first team. Blogger So Dear continues to believe it's down to at most a two man race.
Blogger So Dear will be back out there again tomorrow morning and should have a practice report up by 9:00 a.m.