It was another early morning for the Wake Forest football team, who began practice at 5:50 a.m. It may have been early, but the energy and intensity levels were still high. Below are some of my observations.
UPDATE: 12:20 p.m. In this piece I stated that Johnny Garcia's injury did not appear to be serious given that he was standing and observing practice. Wake Forest released information after the publication of this article stating that he has a torn ACL.
- It appears that Dan Collins' prediction is coming true. Several days ago he speculated that John Wolford would start to get more reps as this week progresses, and I get the sense that is happening. I don't have official rep counts, but it seems as though he is getting a higher percentage of reps each practice.
- Coach Clawson has announced that the quarterback competition is a 4-quarterback race, and it may still technically be, but I think it's clearly down to Wolford and Tyler Cameron based on the number of reps and performance of each player. Wolford had one of his passes batted down at the line of scrimmage today (as he did yesterday) and Tyler Cameron had perhaps his best of the four practices.
- Tyree Harris was a full participant in practice today after suffering a minor right ankle injury yesterday. Johnny Garcia did not participate in practice today and was wearing a knee brace. He was standing and observing the other defensive linemen during practice, so I assume the injury is not too severe.
- Antonio Ford also did not practice, but I believe the coaching staff is trying to manage his practice time because of his prior leg injury.
- Running back Dominique Gibson will not be participating in August practices, as Dan Collins reported, so I would look for freshmen Isaiah Robinson and Tyler Henderson to compete for the third tailback spot.
- Tylor Harris continued his strong showing in defensive line vs. offensive line drills and I believe Zeek Rodney is going to get meaningful snaps this season. Duke Ejiofor and Wendell Dunn are two redshirt freshmen who I would expect to contribute as pass rushers this season.
Tomorrow's practice will begin at 5:50 a.m. and will be the first practice where the players will have on full pads. Blogger So Dear will have a report by around 9:00 a.m.