Coach Clawson and his staff finished the 2014 recruiting season strong and signed several very promising recruits. Previous head coach Jim Grobe would almost exclusively redshirt players, but last year he played 10 true freshmen. How many of the 24 members of the 2014 recruiting class will play this season?
Definitely Will Play
- QB John Wolford - Has already been named the team's starting quarterback.
- C A'Lique Terry - A'Lique was recently named the team's starting center.
- K Adam Centers - Adam was named the team's kickoff specialist.
- TE Devin Pike - Pike is listed in the two-deep and will contribute along with Cam Serigne.
- DT/NT Zeek Rodney - Zeek is listed in the two-deep and will spell Tylor Harris.
- LB Jaboree Williams - Jaboree enrolled in January and is the backup BUCK linebacker.
- RB Tyler Henderson - Henderson is the team's starting kick returner and should receive some carries at tailback.
- RB Isaiah Robinson - Robinson is a big back and will also receive carries due to impressive size.
- CB Thomas Dillon - Dillon will contribute on special teams this season.
Potentially Will Play
- OL Justin Herron - A 3-star recruit out of high school. He definitely has the talent to contribute, but I'm not sure Clawson wants to burn his shirt to be a backup. I don't blame him.
- OL Ryan Anderson - Anderson was an unheralded recruit, but he enrolled at Wake Forest in January and has greatly exceeded expectations. Clawson would prefer to redshirt him as well, but injuries may leave him with no other choice.
- DL Willie Yarbary - Was originally committed to Indiana. He's not listed in the two-deep, but is just on the cusp.
- DL Chris Stewart - Stewart could play this season. I'd lean more towards him redshirting, especially considering he was sidelined with a foot injury earlier in camp.
- DL Rashawn Shaw - Shaw was one of our highest rated recruits and was initially committed to Louisville. I'd like to see him redshirt this season to add a bit more bulk to his frame.
- S Cameron Glenn - Glenn has seen some reps on special teams, but I'd guess Clawson wants to redshirt Glenn due to an experienced secondary.
- S Demetrius Kemp - I'd say he is less likely than Glenn to play this season.
Definitely Will Redshirt
- C Nick Luedeke - Only 260 pounds. Will definitely have to bulk up before he contributes.
- DE Phil Haynes - Originally part of the 2015 recruiting class. Very raw and will use this year to develop.
- LB Zack Wary - Promising prospect, but will use this year to add bulk to his frame.
- WR Cortez Lewis - Too many upperclassmen at the receiver position.
- OL Patrick Osterhage - Still transitioning from an entirely run-based offense.
- QB Travis Smith - Smith would need the three quarterbacks ahead of him to get hurt in order to play.
- LB Kalin McNeil - Only 190 pounds and will need to add bulk.
- CB DaiQuan Lawrenece- Has excellent speed, but the corner position currently belongs to a pair of special seniors.