This thread is the place for any comments, thoughts, monologues, dialogues, ramblings, rants, complaints, insights, and general banter that people want to have about the coach search. While there are generally no parameters about what can be talked about, we would ask that the topic stay somewhat on topic to the coaching search while also avoiding personal attacks and observing general common courtesy.
General topic-starters which I personally find interesting:
1. Is Danny Manning a legitimate target or is the recent influx of news about Wake being interested primarily a ploy for him to grasp some leverage in contract negotiations with Tulsa?
2. Wake appears to have offered Shaka by almost every source who has been contacted on the topic, yet this search has been as quiet as any I can recall in recent basketball history with the role that social media generally plays. Was the Shaka offer a well-calculated leak by those in the AD, was it a hoax, or was it just an unsubstantiated rumor which got legs and took off on its own?
3. How big a hire is this for Wake Forest? Is it overly-dramatic and hyperbolic to say that this is a crossroads for the program after the previous four years under "he-who-shall-not-be-named?"
4. In a similar vein, what does this hire mean for the reputation and legacy of current Athletic Director Ron Wellman? It is likely to be Wellman's last major hire as rumors of his retirement over the next couple of years continue to pick up steam. Will this be a home run hire, a hire akin to the one made four years ago, or somewhere in the middle?
5. How will the Wake fan base react to a name, like Manning, which might not be a big-name hire, but does have upside down the road? Will the coach have widespread support for the first couple of years, or will the anger of the fan base towards Wellman and Wake at-large persist and permeate the new coach's first few years?
Take it away guys, any perspective is welcome and this should be an interesting thread to follow. Any rumors or sources can also be posted here that people have.Who is everyone's top target?
UPDATE: The plane (N12KR) of a major Wake Forest donor is flying from Winston-Salem to Tulsa. The flight left Winston-Salem a little after 6:30 this morning and is scheduled to arrive in Tulsa at approximately 10:15 EDT.
The same plane is set to depart from Tulsa at 11:30 EDT and arrive in Winston-Salem at approximately 2:20 EDT.
Danny Manning is at Wake Forest today while Tulsa has stepped up in effort to keep him. Decision looming. Story: http://t.co/TZhFlWyx2z— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) April 2, 2014
Here's Danny Manning arriving at Smith Reynolds Airport in Winston-Salem. pic.twitter.com/ZxgEBwyOgU— Brian Neal (@BrianNealNews) April 2, 2014
Danny Manning has an offer to coach at Wake Forest. #kubball— Rock Chalk Blog (@RockChalkBlog) April 2, 2014
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/NewsOn6">@NewsOn6</a> sports: TU offered Danny Manning $1.2 million salary, raises for assistants and "improved travel." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TulsaMBB&src=hash">#TulsaMBB</a></p>— Charlie Hannema (@CharlieHannema) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlieHannema/statuses/451805690588196864">April 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>