clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Blue Devils use 20-5 run to put away Deacs 83-63

Deacs can't stop Jabari Parker and company from raining threes and forcing turnovers, and lose on a rainy night in Durham.

Miles Overton gives the low 3 sign after one of his 2 three-pointers
Miles Overton gives the low 3 sign after one of his 2 three-pointers
Grant Halverson

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke used a 20-5 run over 6:02 to end the first half, spurring the Blue Devils to a 83-63 win over visiting Wake Forest on Tuesday night. The Devils (18-5, 7-3 ACC) were led by a sensational offensive performance from freshman Jabari Parker (21 points, 8 rebounds) and 19 points from Rasheed Sulaimon. Andre Dawkins rounded out the bulk of the Duke offense, going 4-7 from the three-point line en route to 17 points on the night.

"It was really a good win for our team," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "I thought Wake was extremely well-prepared and they reacted in great fashion with the loss of one of their best players in Miller-McIntyre. Overton stepped up right away, and Thomas does such a good job of being a point center at times. Just a good basketball player."

Wake Forest, now 14-9 (4-6 ACC) and losers of 3 straight, started the game with 7 straight points from Devin Thomas to take a 7-2 lead. The Deacs then traded the lead back and forth with the Deacs until embarking on their monster run to take a 46-33 halftime lead.

The Deacons were led in scoring by Thomas' 14 points, 12 from Miles Overton and 10 from Arnaud William Adala Moto. Wake Forest turned the ball over 19 times, leading to 26 Duke points. The Devils made 12 three-pointers to the Deacons' 3, shooting a blistering 46.2 percent for the game.

Wake Forest played without the services of sophomore guard Codi Miller-McIntyre, who was injured late in the first half of the Deacs' loss to Georgia Tech on Saturday. Head coach Jeff Bzdelik said previously that Miller-McIntyre would be a game-time decision, but the medical staff ended up making the final call early on Tuesday.

"We made a decision this morning," Bzdelik said. "It's too tender and it would not have been effective and we didn't want a setback, obviously. There's a lot of basketball left to be played."

Miller-McIntyre's place in the lineup was assumed by graduate student Coron Williams, who finished with 3 points in a 1-3 shooting night. Duke's perimeter defense was effective, limiting not only Williams but senior Travis McKie (6 points) as well. Despite the loss, Bzdelik praised Madison Jones' effort against the Duke defense, scoring 9 points and only turning the ball over twice.

"To have played 40 minutes and to only have turned the ball over 2 times, to keep us in our offensive rhythm- you know, we shot 49 percent- the young man did a great job."

The Deacs now have a week off before traveling to Raleigh next week for a rematch against the N.C. State Wolfpack. The layoff should allow precious time for Miller-McIntyre's ankle to recover, while the Deacs work to right a ship that has started once again to list towards a disappointing finish.