WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wake Forest defeated the Virginia Cavaliers today at the Joel 76-71, to get Coach Bzdelik and the freshmen Deacs their first ever ACC win.
More analysis will come later, but just wanted to throw up the box score and some efficiency numbers for y'all to look at. I am very pumped about this win and think that it will be used as a springboard the rest of the year to get us headed in the right direction.
Officials: Ray Natilli, Jamie Luckie, Raymie Styons
|O Reb %||29.0||15.4|
|D Reb %||84.6||71.0|
A few thoughts on the game and the stats:
- This is a "team win" if there has ever been one in college basketball. The Deacs had 6 guys in double figures, 14 assists to only 9 turnovers, and went 19-21 from the free throw line that really sealed the deal late.
- CJ Harris had a fantastic game for us tonight. He had 5 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and 3 turnovers at the half, and finished with 15, 7, 6, and most importantly 3 turnovers. This is exactly what we need from him if we are going to win games.
- Ty Walker really stepped up and held his own in the second half against Sene. Sene certainly had the size advantage against Carson and Ty, but each held their own when they needed to. Ty had 8 points in his ACC career before tonight, and he finished with 11, including a couple of tough baskets when the shot clock was running down.
- Travis McKie had a phenomenal dunk on Sene that really ignited the team in their comeback. It was a thunderous slam that can be seen in the Fanshot on the main page. He also continued racking up double-doubles with 12 points and 10 rebounds. He didn't stop there, adding 3 blocks and 3 steals to that total.
- A huge kudos to Coach Bzdelik is necessary as well. I felt like he did a great job with his rotations. JTT could have gotten more time, but once a team got comfortable on the court he left them out there. The team really played within themselves today and did not try to do too much. This was obvious in the stat sheet with only 9 turnovers in that column. I am really happy for Coach to get that monkey off of his back.
- I am proud of the entire team, as well as the fans that came out today. The team never quit, and the fans never quit on the team. I said in my preview that this team deserved support and the supporters would be rewarded. I am just so happy for everybody involved with the team right now and feel like this win can go a long way in getting better and back to where we need to be.