Very quickly, here's a brief recap of what's happened this spring with the men's team. I regret that I am not able to provide any scrimmage recaps, but I watched about five minutes total and don't feel comfortable drawing assessments based on that short an observational period.
- The Deacs announced their incoming recruiting class awhile ago (I was waiting on the announcement to write this and apparently just missed it... whoops). Included in the class are three players with time with one of the youth national teams; in addition, Jared Odenbeck transferred from Georgetown, where he received playing time for a team ranked in the top 10 last season.
Defenders: Jared Odenbeck (Charlotte, NC), Kevin Politz (Morganville, NJ), Kris Reaves (Duluth, Ga), Chase Rhode (Cary, NC)
Midfielders: Steven Echevarria (Slate Hill, NY), Duncan McCormick (Seattle, Wa), John Schuman (Columbus, Oh), Dominic Scotti (Granite Bay, Ca)
Forwards: Hank Gauger (Morrisville, NC), Heath Honold (Coon Rapids, Ia)
- And very briefly, here's a summation of Deacs and former Deacs with various US national teams:
* As covered on BSD, Michael Parkhurst has made the provisional 30-man roster for the US World Cup team. While he potentially has a bit of a climb during the current US training camp in Stanford, Ca to make the final 23-man team, it seems a good bit of the US analysts would prefer him to go based on his intelligence and sound positioning, particularly when compared to many of the other US backs (who exhibit some combination of youth, recklessness, and playing out of position compared to their usual spots for their clubs).
* Rising sophomores Ian Harkes and Jacori Hayes and incoming freshman Kris Reaves have received invitations to train with the U-20 national team in the next month. Despite the loss of Jared Watts, the Deacs should still be more than capable of wrecking teams in the central midfield next season.
* Former Deacs Collin Martin and Sean Okoli were both called up to the U-21 national team camp recently. Martin plays for DC United and Okoli for the Seattle Sounders of MLS.