In a game where the Deacs were outmanned inside, they managed to keep it respectable at the Dean Dome, losing 78-64. JT Terrell finished with 18 points and really showcased what he can do when he shoots the ball well. Harrison Barnes, Tyler Zeller, and John Henson were just way too much for Walker and Desrosiers to handle.
I am really proud of the way the Deacs fought back in the 2nd half. Down 41-28 at the half, we let the lead get back up to 60-43, then went on a 12-3 run to cut it to 63-55. UNC then went on a 11-0 run and closed it out. Our offense still has a lot of room to grow and we have to work on our shot selection, but all things considered, against a defense that is top 5 in the country (KenPom), we performed quite admirably.
Click through for SCACCHoops.com stats for the game
O Reb %
D Reb %
* indicates starter
These stats are unofficial and reliant on a 3rd party service. If the stats are not updating, it is out of the control of SCACCHoops.
- I really loved the effort in the 2nd half by the guys tonight. We could folded it up, but we kept fighting and actually cut into the lead.
- Ty Walker had a few timely baskets, and really showed what he can do when he is in the right place to rebound. He still needs to work on his defensive rebounding, but he was really good tonight on the tip-dunks.
- JT Terrell showed another huge step as he really led the team out there tonight. He showed no fear and really tried to score the ball like he knows how. He could have pulled up and shot an "Ish-like" floater a couple of times, but that will come with time. I am really excited about his future with us.
- CJ Harris probably had a game that he would like to forget. He played and hustled really hard, but took a lot of bad shots and took us out of the game a bit.
- McKie took some bad shots as well, and really needs to get more involved on offense (better shot selection in particular). He had another 9 rebound effort tonight.
- Ari has been making some bad decisions on the court lately, and that has shown in the minutes played. He needs to shoot the ball better from behind the arc if he is going to be a major contributor. He can be a liability in terms of turnovers when he tries to dribble or do too much.
- G$ has the same problems, but his shooting is more than making up for it. He has proved that he can get to the basket, but needs to work on decision-making.
- We came out slow again and had to get our footing, but we fought back and I really loved seeing that. Focus was increased (see shooting from 3's and free throw line).
- The talent discrepancy between UNC and Wake Forest was painfully evident tonight. UNC is a very, very good team defensively, and they really took us out of our game and forced some really bad shots (a good amount of those were also on our guys though).
- I came into this game with poor expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised by what we did in the 2nd half. This gives me some optimism for the game on Saturday as FSU starts life without Chris Singleton (broken foot). Maybe we can play them closer than people think. :fingerscrossed