Wake Forest Demon Deacons (8-17, 1-8) (0-7 Road, 255 KenPom)
North Carolina Tar Heels (18-6, 8-2) (11-0 Home, 11 KenPom)
TV: ACC Network (Raycom)
The Deacs head to Chapel Hill to take on the Tar Heels tonight at the Dean Dome at 8. The Heels are coming off a win at LittleJohn Coliseum. They are 11-2 in their past 13 games. The Deacs have lost 4 in a row, and 9 out of their last 10 games. It would be a minor miracle if Wake wins this one, but stranger things have certainly happened.
Off. Reb. %:
- The Tar Heels have improved tremendously since last year. They are very good on defense, and this can mainly be attributed to their heigh and ability to block a high percentage of shots. They do an excellent job of not fouling on defense (which is sometimes rare for teams that block a lot of shots). It helps that they have John Henson, Tyler Zeller, and Harrison Barnes in there to contest those shots.
- Their offense isn't a slouch either. They are averaging 1.16 points per possession (46th in the country). They could improve their three point shooting, but shoot above 50% from two-pointers. Free throw shooting has been a problem at times, and that could hurt them down the stretch in some games. They do a good job of holding on to the ball, and also provide a good amount of second and third chance points.
Off. Reb. %:
- KenPom has recently added a "Conference Only" tab, and I included this here for your enjoyment.
- As you can see, They rank in the top half of almost every category, except for 3-point shooting, in which they are dead last. This is going to be a very tough game for the Deacs.
|Larry Drew II||21||22.8||4.4||2.3||3.9||1.1||0.0||1.8||.384||.677||.207|
- The Heels are led by Zeller, Barnes and Henson, which is going to be a huge problem for the Deacs tonight. Hopefully Ty Walker is back from his illness. Once again, I think that Carson and Ty should get some time out there together.
- Kendall Marshall finally replaced Larry Drew at the PG lineup, which resulted in a transfer from Drew. I have wondered since the beginning of the year why it took Marshall so long to become the PG. I would love to ask Roy Williams about that if I got the chance to talk to him. Marshall has been doing very well, and is going to be a formidable guard to come up against in the tournament this year, as well as years to follow.
- The reserves will probably get a lot of time for UNC tonight, so look for McDonald (who if I remember correctly killed us at the Joel last year), and Dexter Strickland to put up some good numbers for UNC.